Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Autumn, Apples and Baking Pies!

 ~"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf's a flower." Albert Camus

Autumn on Cape Cod is wonderful. The air is crisp in the morning. The cooler weather invites a coziness that I've missed throughout the summer. Outdoors long walks with a sweater, morning frost and the falling then raking of leaves offer a soothing texture to my neighborhood. Indoors the smell of apple cider and the peeling of apples for baking sweet treats offers comfort.

At my house our favorite go-to Autumn recipes once the apple trees invite us to pick their bounty include Steele Family Apple Crisp, Apple Pie and Cranberry-Apple Pie.

Every Autumn I look forward to taking the short drive North over the Bourne bridge to Acushnet to go apple picking with my kids. The hay ride over the pumpkin patch and the filling of our baskets with apples is something I always treasure. When we arrive home we often watch football, throw some Chili in the Crock-Pot and bake an Apple Crisp.

Each year some things will change. Yet some things remain constant like a simple afternoon to share good food in the crisp Autumn air.

No comments: