Saturday, November 3, 2012

Lemon Cake, Quiche & Calm after the Storm

Remember, the storm is a good opportunity for the pine and the cypress to show their strength and their stability.
                                                                      Ho Chi Minh

        I'm in awe of the energy that comes in with a big storm. On Cape we were OK. The storm caused minor inconveniences nothing like the unfortunate tragedies people in CT, NY, NJ and elsewhere along the Atlantic Coast are facing. It's easy to feel helpless when watching the devastation and not know how to help in ways that are meaningful. Yet, I do believe we must try to help if even in small ways whenever we can.
      In my classes this week, I asked my students to talk and write about their experiences. We had good conversations and there was lots of passion in their stories.
    There's a unique calm that arrives after a storm. I took the photograph above on Wednesday. I felt I had to visit the waters edge and get a sense of the calm for myself. I knew sensing what remained after the storm would work it's way into my heart and offer me comfort. When I feel upset or disappointed at something happening in my life I know I have to wait out the storm until inner calm returns. Like when a storm hits, there's things that happen in our lives there's not much we can do about. 
I'm baking a Lemon Cake and Quiche for a friend whose coming for lunch on Monday. She's about to submit her Thesis for earning her Master's degree and she's asked me to look it over and offer feedback. It makes me happy to help. I feel useful. And it's a great opportunity to deepen a new friendship that's developing.
Both my recipes for Linda's Lemon Cake and Spinach Feta Quiche are included in "Meet Me in My Cape Cod Kitchen".
 

No comments: