Monday, February 20, 2017

Potato, Fontina and Rosemary Tart with a Quick Story


Last Sunday I felt like being creative in my kitchen. I wanted to come up with tasty new combinations. We were expecting a snow storm so I decided to get a fire going early in the day.
I went shopping before the storm hit.

I already  knew I wanted a big pot of chicken soup to have on hand for the week. I love making new versions of tarts and quiche especially to go with hot fresh Soup so I came up with a Potato, Fontina and Rosemary tart.

It was yummy and so easy to throw together with just a few ingredients. I want to share it with you here. But first a quick story.

Last week, I was invited to be a speaker at a We Can Mentor Meeting.  As a Certified Women's Group Facilitator I want to support and inspire the women involved there to embrace a regular self care practice that could bring a sense of peace and renewal to their hectic lives.

I wanted to give them tools so they would know how and where to begin. The talk went well. The women were engaged and we shared thoughtful discussions around the topic of self-care. One of the women who attended looked familiar yet I couldn't quite place where I knew her from. As my talk came to a close she approached me and said " I remember you from the Ladies Night Out in Hyannis last year you were selling your book." She was there with a friend and they were looking for a gift for another friends birthday who used to live on the Cape but now resides in Arizona. There friend was turning 80. She bought my book that night and planned to give it to her friend the following week as they were planning to meet in Arizona for a birthday celebration.

The woman at my talk told me she just happened to chat with her friend a day earlier and she mentioned how much she absolutely loves my book! She said she enjoyed the stories and all the personal items I included. It was good to hear her kind words.

 When you create something --a poem, a work of art or a book and it goes out into the world it takes on a life of its own and you don't really know entirely what happens to it. When I put that book together it was a true labor of love and I was so glad to hear how much she enjoyed it.
The Potato, Fontina and Rosemary Tart is not in my collection as it's something new so I will share it here in case you feel inspired to give it a try,

Potato, Fontina and Rosemary Tart

1 Puff Pastry
4 medium sized potatoes, sliced thin (if you have a mandolin use that as you want the potatoes to be so thin they are transparent)
1 Cup fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp. Rosemary

1) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet roll out the puff pastry flat.
2) Place the potatoes in a circular motion to cover the pastry and top with the cubes of cheese. Sprinkle the rosemary on top.
3) Bake for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft and the pastry is puffed and brown.

Baker's Tip: If you don't have a mandolin and aren't sure you can slice the potatoes thin enough to cook through shortly you can place them in a bowl with a bit of water and place in microwave to pre-cook for about a minute.


No comments: