Sunday, February 19, 2012

Small Things, Letting Go & Baked Mac and Cheese!

"We can do no great things; we can do small things with great love". ~ Mother Theresa
When I want someones attention I usually bake something for them. I woke up on Valentine's Day in a bit of a panic fearing that maybe no one would remember me that day. I made chocolate cookies and cranberry Biscotti dipped in chocolate for neighbors, the school bus driver, my kids and a couple of other friends. It was nice to see their smiles and receive words of appreciation. It is better to give then receive. Besides Mother Theresa was on to something-it really is those small things we do that matter most.
As for letting go, I don't like it when I have to, especially of something I deeply love and care for. But sometimes I see that I must. We all have to at times.
My daughter Bella left for a trip to Spain with her Spanish class. It wasn't easy for me to let her go, but I knew that I had to. She has a journey and a unique path of her own to follow and going on this trip was a part of it.
She and I spent the afternoon together before she left. I made a large Baked Mac and Cheese, neighbor's came over to eat with us. I made a heartier than usual Mac and Cheese. I used what I had on hand and what I thought would make a tasty combination. My son seemed to like it as he ate three bowls of it. And Bella left for Madrid, happy and full! Just in case you feel like giving it a try, here is what I made.
Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon
1 lb. elbow macaroni
5 strips bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
2 cups sharp cheddar, grated fine
1/4 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
handful of fresh diced scallions
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1) Cook the macaroni. In a large bowl toss together all ingredients, except the bread crumbs. Spoon into a 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

No comments: