Thursday, August 23, 2012

Holding on to Summer




"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." ~ John Lubbock

      This past week I certainly could have skipped spending two days at Wood Neck beach and the next at Menahaunt but like Lubbock suggests it was 'by no means a waste of time".
My teaching semester is about to get underway, I have an article coming out soon and my kids are busy with back to school preparations and sports practice. So there was plenty to do.
 Yet the way I see it -- all too soon my children will be at school all day and I will be teaching then rushing from one activity to the next.
So for now we did what made the most sense: we called a friend, grabbed our suits and headed down to the beach.
Surprisingly I didn't turn my oven on all week (this might just be a first) yet we did use the grill to make burgers and dogs (a summer favorite).
The photograph above is from a sunset walk I took earlier this week with my girls down to South Cape Beach.

No comments: