Monday, November 17, 2008

Chasing Rainbows & Perfect Pecan Pie

Did you see the rainbow (actually there were two) extending over the Upper Cape this past weekend?

We had to head off Cape on Saturday to bring Nathan to his Basketball Tournament in Bridgewater. It had been dark and rainy earlier in the day and then the sun suddenly decided to pop out and help create an amazing rainbow.

The drive on 28 between Falmouth through Bourne felt as if we were chasing a rainbow.

I suggested to Sophia that she make a wish--I heard her say very quietly, "I wish that this rainbow will always stay in my heart". She is four! It was one of the biggest and brightest rainbows I have ever seen. There was even a smaller, fainter one just behind it.

On Sunday I baked a perfect pecan pie. Traditional pecan pie is basically light Caro syrup, butter, sugar, egg and pecans. I made a double layered crust on the bottom. I mixed an egg with a package of cream cheese and brown sugar and a hint of vanilla. Then I layered a cup of pecans. I topped it with a whipped mixture of light Caro syrup, butter, eggs and a bit more vanilla. I baked it at 350 degrees for fifty five minutes.

Nathan said, " This is de--licious"! Bella said, "You have to make this for thanksgiving". I am pretty sure they liked my new dessert as much as Sophia liked catching the rainbow on Saturday.

No comments: