Friday, July 23, 2010

Rainy Days, Trolley's & Relationships

It's been raining a lot today on Cape. It's been a nice break from the heat and humidity we've been having. I decided to bake cookies for the farm first thing this morning. I made a batch of dreamy island cookies and I wanted to get a batch of my cranberry biscotti started too but I got a call earlier than expected that Bella's camp bus was arriving.
She spent a week in New Hampshire--I missed her like crazy but it was such a blessing that she had so much fun. We stopped by the Farm on the way back from camp pick-up to deliver at least a few packages of cookies for sale. I love to bake although with three kids around for the summer I feel pulled in many other directions too and never bake as much as I'd like.

Sophia has been wanting to ride the Falmouth Trolley so I dropped things needing my attention on Thursday and we hopped a ride to Woods Hole. She got a special treat and I had a large coffee from "Pie in the Sky". We walked down to the Aquarium and Sophia loved watching the seals swim around in the water. Later that night we met some friends at the Popponessett Marketplace for a truly out of this world Lobster Roll and a fun concert.

As far as relationships go I was thinking that they can be (at times) so delicate and fragile. In other words they can be our greatest joy and blessing and also our biggest obstacles.
When I baked this morning I pulled my butter out of the freezer and as I had less time than usual I decided to soften it by popping the sticks in my microwave. I let them stay in a little too long so the butter was more melted than I wanted it to be. I like my butter to be soft but not melted. I didn't want to waste the butter though. The cookies came out tasting the same but I noticed a slight alteration in the texture. Something probably only I could detect.
Like the butter melting too quickly and affecting how the cookies turn out the same can be true for my relationships.
If I alter what I do or how I participate in a challenging situation I find that my relationships instead of getting harder actually have an opportunity to change or grow. In other words by doing less I just might get more.

No comments: