Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting Old(er), Baking Bread & Picking Up the Pieces

I turn forty-two on Monday. In some ways I see it for the blessing it is-I am in excellent health, have wonderful children and am fortunate enough to do many things I love. And yet there is a part of me that sighs at the thought--where has all the time gone?
And even though I think I've aged fairly gracefully I'm noticing way more wrinkles than ever before!
I remember (very clearly) when I turned fourteen. I reminded my close friends at the time that my birthday was approaching weeks in advance and fourteen felt so exciting because I was a full fledged teenager ready to take on the world.
I remember having the sense that not only was the world my oyster but I knew what I wanted. Looking back, I realize I was so young and naive and wish I could have known then what I know now.
I suppose I might look at my wrinkles today as 'learning lines'-evidence that I have grown and changed in remarkable ways even if at fourteen I thought I knew it all.
I'm about to bake bread this morning-a banana bread as there are ripe bananas just waiting to be used and a special order for pecan bread loaf.
As for picking up the pieces, my sister has been hard at work trying to put her life back together after the recent fire and she has been doing remarkably well. Although tragedy takes time to recover from. For now, I simply continue to check in on her and make sure she's OK and see what I can do to offer my help and support.

No comments: