Saturday, June 2, 2012

Recipe for a Rainy Day!


There's not much you can do about it when it rains. But sometimes, it's disappointing when your expecting to do something fun outdoors. There's a lot of people in town for celebrating Falmouth High School Graduation and different weddings that are scheduled this weekend.

 My sister is heading down tomorrow for my daughter's dance recital and we planned to go to the beach for a day. There's nothing like a sunny warm day at the beach, but what can you do? Like I told her, I'm hopeful the sun will return soon.

My students are taking their finals next week and I wanted to share a picture I snapped (above) of a ship heading out through the canal since I won't be up on Campus for awhile after my grading is done.

I'm home for the afternoon and I'm going to make two tasty dishes: Chicken & Sour Cream Enchilada's with a Tomatillo Sauce and Pecan & Maple Cookies. I've made the Enchilada's a hundred times. It's a favorite around our house.

And I'm sharing the recipe I'm trying below for Pecan & Maple Cookies. It's super easy and I love the combination of maple with pecans. In case you are sitting at home too and looking for something to do give these simple cookies a try.

And if you're in town look for Gail Blakely's Food Column in Friday's Enterprise. I shared my experience with cooking on my new Grill and chatted with her about making Pizza's!

Pecan & Maple Cookies


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped + additional pecan halves to top cookie
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
3/4 cup self-rising flour

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2) Place the butter, maple syrup, and sugar in a bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Sift over the flour and chopped pecans. Mix until the dough becomes stiff.
3) Place balls of dough onto the cookie sheets and top with a reserved pecan half, pressing down gently.
4) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love your blog!