Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rainy Day Brownies, Spring & Art!

Yesterday afternoon I baked a batch of my favorite brownies (recipe added below) because it rained all afternoon and I thought it would be a nice way to greet Sophia off the school bus. She was having a playmate from her class over and they ate the brownies at the kitchen table with a glass of milk. I love to hear them giggle, talk about their school day and decide what they are going to play around the house.
Earlier this week I bought a bunch of purple pansies in hanging pots to hang around the yard as a way to welcome Spring. I've always loved pansies. I remember an old friend of mine that I went to UCLA and shared a house with for awhile would say she loved pansies because they looked like they had such sweet little faces painted on them. (They do)!
My daughters and I decided last minute to head off Cape to meet a friend for an event being held at the Worcester Art Museum today. I love art and I love to expose my children to it as much as I can. And it's always fun to hang out with a good friend.

Linda's Recipe for Rainy Day Brownies

1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet, set aside, add at end
1 1/4 cups plain cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate chopped fine
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla

Heat oven to 325. Grease a 13x9 pan.
In medium bowl whisk flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
Melt chocolate and butter in a sauce pan stir occasionally until smooth. Gradually whisk in the sugar and then add eggs one at a time. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture gradually. Mix until smooth. Add in the chocolate chip until just blended.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, then cut.

No comments: