Monday, January 17, 2011

Creativity in the Kitchen, Old Recipes & Winter Walks!

One thing I love about the kitchen is it's a place I can be super creative. It's fun to open my fridge and pantry to see what I have on hand and come up with a new combination and then share it with others.

Yesterday I tossed together a big leafy green salad with fresh blueberries, feta cheese crumbles topped with dry fried onion ring pieces. I didn't need a recipe I just looked around to see what I had on hand and it was a really good salad.

And yet I also love the joy I get from using the same recipe my Nana used years ago, those few that are hand written, frayed around the edges and tucked into a favorite cookbook used on only the most special of occasions.

And it's fun too to try a special recipe that catches my eye in a magazine. I gather the ingredients, give it a try and offer it to my family or friends.

We watched the Football game on Sunday at a friend's house. I brought a baked four cheese and macaroni dish with bacon. The dish was a hit. I found the recipe earlier last week in a magazine and wanted to give it a try.

As for winter walks, despite the frigid temperatures and often slippery roads I've still been getting out there each morning for a walk. I often walk with my neighbors but since I enjoy walking so much I usually go with or without them. It's so peaceful especially this time of year. I bundle up in layers with a hat, scarf and gloves.

For the Football game, I also brought over a batch of my Celebration Cookies-the ones with the white chocolate, blueberries and cranberries. I made an extra batch that I'm going to send to an old friend.

No comments: