Saturday, September 24, 2011

Intuitive Cooking, Roasted Red Pepper and Cheddar Tart & Chicken Pot Pie!

I love to pull out an old recipe that I've had for years and follow it to a T, because an old recipe evokes memories of other occasions, maybe even time with family and friends that we don't want to forget. And an old recipe promises it will be good, because we've used it many times before.
But I also love setting out to cook and bake by using my intuition. I like being creative in the kitchen and waiting to see what will emerge.
Last week I made the recipe I've had for years for Tortellini and Tomato Soup. But I didn't have sage, thyme or paprika on hand so I used cayenne pepper and lots of freshly chopped basil instead. It was delicious.
My oldest daughter asked if I would bake her a Chicken Pot Pie because she had one at a bakery recently and liked it. So, I made one up from scratch. The entire pie was gone within a single weekend. I made up my own version (simple and easy, perfect for a busy week-night).
As for the Roasted Red Pepper and Cheddar Tart, I made that for book-club last night and I just used a simple combination of sharp cheddar cheese and roasted red peppers on a flat sheet of puff pastry. Here is what I used to make the Chicken Pot Pie.
Super Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Take two pie crusts and place one on the bottom of a pie plate.
15 oz. can of cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups corn
1/2 cups of peas
1 Tbsp. freshly chopped garlic, chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste
tsp. sage
tsp. basil
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and diced fine
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until mixed well.
Pour into pie crust and cover with additional crust, fold over the edges.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes.

No comments: