Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Berry Pie


      I baked a pie earlier today. My daughter Bella asked if I would.
How could I resist? I know how much a simple well baked pie fresh from the oven can make others feel happy. And it's so easy.
     I chose the freshest blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries I could find from the grocery store. Brought them home and washed them in the large colander that rests on the top of my baker's hutch.
     I let them sit in the sink so the sun that peeks in through the kitchen window could kiss them dry while I tended to the (much needed) laundry. The summer always brings large loads of towels in need of washing from days spent at the beach. Not to mention all the sweaty clothes from kids playing outdoors much of the day.
      As for eating the Summer Berry Pie-- once cooled from the oven you might think you've died and gone to heaven. A single bite dissolves in your mouth and invites you to taste more. Satisfaction only comes when you can lick your whole plate and there's a dark circle of bluish red almost burgundy from the pie juice that rests above your top lip waiting to be wiped clean too..
     My son and his friends were at the house earlier today before heading down to Falmouth Heights to meet up with friends and watch the Fireworks. It's an important tradition to eat burgers cooked on the grill and slices of watermelon too. I didn't want to miss the opportunity while all the kids were around so I fired up my grill and turned my oven on. Besides, the teenagers always seem to be starving and I start to wonder if they possibly could have a hollow leg.
    At my house Summer is not only trips to the Beach, walking on the sand or staying up late watching a movie or reading a good book---it's also S'mores and Summer Berry Pie.
Looking for more yummy recipes? Check out my recipe book e-book version.

Meet Me in My Cape Cod Kitchen

No comments: