Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pantry Possibilities

My kitchen has definitely improved over the years.
Now that I am baking as a business I am more thoughtful of what I keep on hand. There are many times though when I simply want to make something for a friend and there isn't much available. Case in point-last night a friend was going to stop over so I could color her hair. (The hair coloring might be left for another story-because what gave her the impression that I knew the first thing about hair coloring?) Anyway, I wanted a treat to offer her. Something that made the house smell inviting as she walked in. I went to my pantry to see what I might conjure up. I found, among other things: flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, pecans-I knew there was butter in the fridge and since it's apple picking season I had plenty of ripe juicy apples on the table. As far as the color of my friends hair-surprisingly it didn't turn out half bad. In fact, I think she really likes it.

Steele Family Apple Crisp

4 large Apples, green, peeled and sliced
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 c oats
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 c butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a square baking dish. Place apple slices in pan. Mix remaining ingredients well and sprinkle over apples. Bake 30 minutes. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: