Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hope & A Longing for Easter Meal

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea. ~Antoine de Saint Exupery

What does the endless immensity of the sea represent for you? For me, it's often writing, baking, friendship, mothering and creativity in general. I am most hopeful when I long for these endeavors. When I know I have connected with my children or I have completed a writing assignment I am filled with something that matters to me. There is a hope that gets reborn.
When I want to 'build a ship' so to speak I reach beyond the mundane of herding or collecting and head foward into the 'endless immensity'.

I always think of Easter as a hopeful time. Spring has sprung! I baked lemon cakes and cookies for our holiday desert today. I made an apple cider & brown sugar glaze for the ham, garlic mashed potatoes (whipped with garlic and butter) and fresh asparagus. Of course, there are warm rolls, fresh pineapple and tasty appetizers too. A good meal can bring hope in the simplest of ways.

No comments: