Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Recipe for Coconut Pound Cake & Love Notes

My husband has been leaving me sweet little love notes under a clean coffee mug next to a pot of fresh brewed coffee each morning for about a week now. I find them after he has already left for his day before I start getting the kids ready for school. He has come such a long way! Girls, there is hope.
I remember years ago he used to tell me I had to make the coffee in the morning because he didn't know how to! I love the thoughtful little notes.
Today Sophia and I have been baking samples that I am bringing to a network business breakfast tomorrow morning. I threw a loaf of Pecan bread in the oven too because it's such a good treat for the morning and having something ready makes getting the kids to their bus stop on time that much easier.
I leave you with a recipe for Coconut Pound Cake-if you make this you won't be disappointed.
The grocery store I shop at had some delicious fresh strawberries on sale this week. Top the coconut pound cake with fresh strawberries- It's Simply Delicious!

Coconut Pound Cake:
Cake: 2 C. Sugar
1 stick butter flavored shortening
5 eggs
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 1/4 C. Flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded coconut, chopped

Glaze: 1/2 C sugar
1/4 C water
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract

Heat oven to 350. Grease large bundt pan.
For cake, combine sugar and shortening in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in the extract. Combine flour, b. powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture, beat at low speed after each addition until well blended. Add coconut. Mix until blended. Spoon into greased pan.
Bake for 50 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool five minutes transfer to wire rack.
For Glaze, Combine sugar, water and coconut extract in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool 15 minutes. Spoon over cake then let cool completely.
Slice fresh strawberries and use as a garnish to a slice.

No comments: