Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My New Year's Baby!

My new year's baby is no longer a baby! He turns fourteen this week!
In a way it's hard to believe so much time has passed. I remember the night he was born like
it was yesterday! I remember how strange it felt to leave the hospital with something so little and new. I didn't want anything to happen to him. It seemed unnatural to go out into the cold with such a fragile 'package'. The nurses just looked at me and said, "you'll be fine".
It wasn't so much me that I was worried about. It was the rest of the world--I couldn't control other drivers or the weather or any other danger that might cross our path on the ride home.
I have had two other children since then and I have to say it has gotten easier for me each time.
Although sometimes I still have the same worries. Now that he has grown and wants more freedom it's still not so much him that I worry about but what he might encounter when he heads out.
He has decided he wants to have a bunch of friends sleepover to celebrate his birthday. That will be a piece of cake. All I will need to do is clear out some space for them all to sleep and make sure I bake him a cake, some cookies and stock my fridge with sodas. Oh ya, and I will probably need to make sure I have an extra gallon or two of milk on hand.

No comments: