Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sunshine, Seashells & Tarts with Squash!





The kids were home from school yesterday because of the Columbus Day holiday. It was 69 degrees and sunny and I grabbed the girls out of their slumber and took them down to South Cape Beach. I was so surprised to see two couples in their bathing suits-one of them was even swimming! It's gotten a bit cold for me to brave a swimsuit.

We walked, looked for sea treasures (I found an especially beautiful shell, pictured above) and enjoyed the sun. My son had football practice but he was able to meet up with us for lunch at Wicked. Later that day I snuck out for a bike ride down to Seconsett Island. I'm going to miss that ride once winter arrives.

As for tarts, I love them. You can make so many varieties from sweet and savory to a breakfast, dinner or even dessert version. I want to share the recipe I used for Squash, Sage and Gorgonzola Tart because if you like those items you may want to try it for the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday.

Squash, Sage and Gorgonzola Tart

Make a pie crust or pick up a refrigerated pre-made one. Place in a pie plate.
For the Filling
small butternut squash
tbsp. olive oil
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste
6 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
6-8 fresh sage leaves

1) Cut the squash in half, brush with oil and place cut side up on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until they are brown and very soft. Let cool. Scoop out squash, place in a bowl and discard the skin.
2) Mash the squash and mix with half the cream, season with salt and pepper and spread in the bottom of shell. Spread gorgonzola crumbles on top of squash. Whisk your remaining cream with the eggs and yolk and pour over the squash/cheese. Make sure it settles evenly. Arrange the sage leaves in a circular pattern in the center on top.
3) Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes. Enjoy warm.






No comments: