Monday, December 13, 2010

Chopping Hazelnuts, Crushing Candy Canes & End of Semester


I spent a good part of my day last Friday chopping hazelnuts and crushing candy canes into tiny pieces. I was trying to get a head start on the party I hosted here last night called "Cookies & Cocktails"-it was a girls night only get together.

The weekend was otherwise busy and I wanted to make sure I was ready when friends arrived.

I baked a number of different kinds of cookies and served fun cocktails in those fancy martini glasses. The crushed candy canes were for the rims of the glasses. I made my own version of a 'chocolate martini'. I placed the outer edge of the martini glass into light Caro syrup then coated it with the crushed candy canes. I drizzled chocolate syrup into the bottom of the glass then poured a chilled mixture of whipped cream flavored vodka, peppermint flavored Kahlua and a splash of sierra mist. It was so decadent.

However, I was so busy greeting guests, making fancy cocktails and setting girl friends up to bake sugar cookies of their own that I never actually tried one!

I offered my friends samples of my cookies: Hazelnut Shortbread, Celebration, Dreamy Island, Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Biscotti with White Chocolate.


I sent my friends home with the cookies they baked in fancy party favor bags. I printed up labels that said, "Got Baked at Girls Night Out, Cookie's & Cocktails".

Tomorrow is the last day of the semester at my teaching job. I've had a lot of fun getting to know this particular group of students and I will be sad to see them go. They've been hinting that I might bake them something for tomorrow's class-who knows I might just surprise them and bake something for them after all.
* The image is just a quick shot from my living room right before friends arrived for the party.




No comments: