Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Life's Challenges, Sweet & Savory Biscuits & Off-Season at Beach!

Life often has a funny way of challenging us. Of course as soon as I wrote the previous post many things happened to see if I was committed to my resolve for daily self-care.

Was I making time each day to 'take good care of myself'? It's easy to ignore my own needs while three kids and two jobs constantly seek my attention.
Good thing I have enough sense to know that I can do better at my job or raise my kids when I step back and care for me. I think it's even more important those times when others either get upset with me or judge me for doing so.

Tonight's my neighborhood Book-Club. We've decided to celebrate the holidays with a pot-luck meal and a Yankee swap gift exchange. My task is to bring the bread and I've included my recipe for one of the items I'm bringing. It's a dependable quick bread and goes well with many dishes.

As for Off-season at the beach. It's cold by the water now. But I still love to go down there (bundled up of course) to enjoy the peace it provides. The picture above is from South Cape Beach just before sunset Monday night.

Sweet & Savory Biscuits
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup lowfat yogurt vanilla flavored
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the flours. Sprinkle in the baking powder and salt and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, yogurt, honey, scallions, dill and pepper. Blend the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture quickly and thoroughly to form a soft dough. On a floured countertop, pat the dough into a 3/4 inch circle and cut into eight wedges place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter or additional honey.


No comments: