Saturday, February 19, 2011

Baking Tarts for Book-Club, Bonfires & Cake Balls!

During the winter months it's easy at times to feel isolated living on Cape Cod. I go through periods where I can feel far away from some of the people I love (not that many people come to visit in the winter) and because it's so cold I stay indoors more. In the winter it can be dark as early as 4:30 p.m. I do what I can to stay connected to friends and my kids stay busy through sports.

Book-club has been a great opportunity to get together. We read a book throughout the month and then come together to discuss it but more than anything it's a time for friends to laugh, share a fun cocktail, eat delicious food and catch up on each other's busy lives.

For book club this month I made two tasty tarts. I simply rolled out a sheet of puff pastry onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. I topped one of them with roasted red peppers and cheddar and the other with caramelized onions, bacon and blue cheese then baked at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or so until the pastry browned. It's easy to be creative with food and a sheet of puff pastry. I also like the combination of goat cheese, black beans and roasted corn.

As for the bonfire and cake balls, a friend called last night to invite us over for a backyard bonfire. The past couple of days have been bright and sunny and relatively warmer. It almost reached into the 50's yesterday. So I thought it was a great idea for getting friends together. I am baking a batch of chocolate cake balls dipped in white chocolate to share.

No comments: