Friday, April 1, 2011

The Gift of a Recipe & Apple Turnovers!

The thing I remember the most about the holidays while growing up is how much I loved waiting to see what my Aunt Olga was going to bring for dessert. She made the most delicious Chocolate Cream and Apple Pies I've ever tasted. As a kid, I couldn't wait to hurry through the meal and dig into dessert. I think it was a combination of the love and care she put into each recipe and the fact that she always made everything from scratch that it tasted so good. She passed away a few years ago and it's sad to think that no one will enjoy the gift of her special baked pies ever again. I love to hold on tight to a good recipe and then share it with others too because a good recipe is like a well liked gift. The kind you can cherish for years to come. My oldest daughter and I took some time for a Mom/Daughter adventure this week. We had a blast exploring Outer Cape together yesterday. Before we got back on the road to head home we decided to stop at Marion's Pie Shop on Route 28. Marion's is a must stop bakery that serves delicious pies and sweet treats. They have the size kitchen that at this point I can only dream about--there's a huge wooden work surface to roll out the dough and an extra large double oven. My daughter ordered an Apple Turnover that to me looked like it could serve a family of five! She savored every last bite of it. I decided to bake my own version of apple turnovers today so that my other kids could have a taste too. And, since I love sharing a good recipe if you feel like baking this weekend, give this simple recipe a try. Apple Turnovers: Bake your own pie crust (Good recipe in "Meet Me in My Cape Cod Kitchen") or use two pre-made refrigerated pie crusts, cut into 6 in. rounds. (Use a knife and a small plate, to cut). Take 3 Large Apples, peel and chop fine, then place into a small bowl Toss with a Tbsp. cinnamon, Tbsp. brown sugar, 3 Tbsp. butter, softened. You'll need 1 additional Tbsp. butter melted for brushing the tops of the turnovers and 1 Tsp. white sugar. 1) Place approximately two Tbsp. of apple mixture in the center of pie crust round, top with a 1/2 tsp. of the butter. 2) Roll over the edge of the crust to meet the other side. Crimp the edges (take a fork to seal the crust). 3) Brush a little bit of melted butter and white sugar on the top and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until the turnovers start to brown. Enjoy warm!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those sound awesome!! Thanks!

Linda Maria Steele said...

you are welcome!

Anonymous said...

thank you - incredibly wonderful