Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hazelnut Shortbread, Birth Announcement & Cape Cod Canal!




One of the things I love the most about my teaching job, well, besides getting to talk at length about two topics I love (Writing & Literature) is where the campus is located. I park in a spot that overlooks the canal. I like to eat my lunch in my car because the view is so amazing-this particular blue fishing boat was heading through the canal very quickly.


I often see the largest of cargo ships pass through, like the pictures I took, posted here. I love to witness how often the canal changes depending on the current, tide and weather.
I received a birth announcement in the mail this week of a friend who recently had her second baby, a boy. I baked celebration cookies and then printed out a label with the baby's name and birth details on it then dropped them in the mail to send to the family. It's fun to share a good cookie to celebrate a happy occasion!


As for the Hazelnut Shortbread, I'm posting my recipe for this delicious cookie here as a toast to the Royal Wedding and the Popular British tradition of afternoon Tea-Time. I thought the church where they got married was beautiful beyond belief.


It makes me wonder though do you think, even though they are Royalty, when the camera's go away and they begin to live their lives as husband and wife they will have the same up and downs and challenges like the rest of us?


My wish for them is they have found true and lasting love. Although, since nothing is perfect, my guess is they will each have to work at it, even as Prince and Princess. They certainly look good together. And, since I am truly a romantic at heart and still believe very much in the possibility of love, I am hopeful they will have a wonderful life together.



Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies:


1 cup unsalted butter, softened


1/2 cup sugar


2 Tbsp. maple syrup


2 tsp. vanilla extract


2 cups all purpose flour


1 1/4 cups finely chopped hazelnuts


1/2 cup chocolate morsels


1) In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add syrup and vanilla. Add flour; mix just until combined. Fold in the nuts.


2) Shape dough into 2-2 inch rolls; wrap each in ziplock bag or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours or until firm.


3) Cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets at 325 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks, cool. Melt chocolate and drizzle over cookies. Let chocolate set.


I love these cookies. Serve them with tea in the afternoon and invite a friend over to join you.

No comments: