Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do Try This at Home!

















Here is the Chocolate Banana Cake I decided to make for Friday's Lunch Club. It was a perfect day for baking a cake-grey, rainy and overcast all day! I decided to share the recipe here and urge you to try it at home. Why? Because it tastes really good and your family and friends will be so happy you did.

It's an updated version of the recipe I have in "Meet Me in My Cape Cape Cod Kitchen" and I think it's my new favorite. I must admit, I was so happy when I started to make this today and realized I had everything I needed on hand so I didn't have to make a last minute run to the store.


An old friend used to sell her version of a two layer Chocolate Banana Cake to the restaurant we helped start when we lived in Dallas and every once and awhile I get a craving for a cake like this. It takes a bit of time to get this done from start to finish, but its worth it.


Recipe for Three Layer Banana Chocolate Cake

2 1/2 cups sugar

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

4 large eggs

1 cup sour cream

2 tsp. baking soda

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. Vanilla

6 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed in a bowl

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 9 inch round cake pans, set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar until well mixed and add in the eggs and beat well. Mix in the sour cream and the bananas until blended and then add in the vanilla. Sift the flour and baking soda together and add to the creamed mixture and beat well. Divide batter evenly into all three pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes until baked. Cool a few minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.

For Frosting:

4 3/4 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup natural cocoa powder

1/3 cup butter softened

4 Tbsp black coffee, brewed


Sift the powdered sugar with the cocoa then add the butter and mix on low until blended. Add the coffee and blend well until you find the consistency you want for your frosting.

No comments: