Monday, October 22, 2007

"Walking in this World"

One of my all time favorite books (I have many) is Julia Cameron's Walking in this World.

A quote appears in it by Leo Tolstoy (the Russian writer who wrote War and Peace and Anna Karenina) that says "the best thoughts most often come in the morning after waking, while still in bed or while walking". Cameron's book (it always amazes me that there are still people in the world who are not familiar with her work) is about creativity and finding a place for it in our busy lives.

Yesterday was an absolutely incredible cape cod kind of day. It was bright and sunny and warm. I managed to sneak away for a long walk alone. I drove the three and a half mile drive from my house to South Cape Beach. There were two swans playing in the little pond at the Falmouth/Mashpee line. I took the trail from the town beach out to the State Jetty where you can see Washburn Island if you go out far enough. I went as far as I could without falling into the ocean. I walked out to the very tip of the farthest rock on the jetty. I saw birds and boats, water and waves.

It feels good to get out and walk. Like Tolstoy promises I did have some of my 'best thoughts' of my day while walking. The walking definitely helps me keep my added baker pounds in check too. That reminds me what a friend once said to me, "you expect a baker to carry added weight, especially if her stuff is any good". I try to walk at least a little every day.

Over the weekend I baked two different kinds of pies. I made a brown sugar and ginger pumpkin pie with a caramel glaze and an apple cherry cobbler pie. See why I was motivated to walk? This week I will do more baking and less tasting maybe a little more walking.
But since I am running a baking business. I will have to get into my kitchen first.
This Week: Supreme Lemon Cake and Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies will be for sale at the Coonammessett Farm.

No comments: