Monday, August 4, 2008

Dog Days of Summer!

Dog Days of Summer refer to those very hot days during July and August.
I did a quick search on phrasefinder.org and the origin of this phrase goes back to the ancient Romans. The site explains that "the Romans noticed that the hottest days of the year, i.e. in late July and early August, coincided with the appearance of Sirius - the Dog Star, in the same part of the sky as the Sun. Sirius is the largest and brightest star in the Canis Major constellation, in fact it is the brightest star in the sky. The ancients believed that the star contributed to the heat of the day".
For me, Dog Days of Summer mean that when I am baking I gather every fan I can find and position them around my kitchen. It also means that I sneak away to the water every chance I get.
Over this past weekend we met some friends out on Sandy Neck. They have an RV and park it out there for a few days at a time. You never quite know what the day will bring! Saturday we huddled under the awning as we watched a storm pass by. The best part of that day was the brief time just after the storm had passed.
This week I am baking for the farm, filling a Gift Basket order and creating a super chocolate cake for a client's birthday.

No comments: