Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fun with Fillo! ( Phyllo)



Tonight's our monthly book club meeting. I always look forward to getting together with these particular friends. An added bonus is how fantastic and fabulous the food usually is. We rotate houses for hosting and each member brings an appetizer to share.

I found mini phyllo shells on sale at Roche Brothers grocery store in Mashpee and I bought several packages to keep in the freezer throughout the holiday.

For tonight, I decided to fill them with mashed sweet potatoes, goat cheese crumbles and pecans. I looked around my kitchen and fridge and out of what I had on hand that sounded like a good combination. If you're feeling adventurous (and have more free time on your hands than I do right now) read on for a good tip to bake your own mini pastry shells.

I'm including the recipe of what I'm making for tonight's appetizer because with Thanksgiving right around the corner you might like to give it a try too.

Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese & Pecan Pastries

1 package of pre-made mini phyllo pastry shells
1 large sweet potato, peel, slice and boil until soft, then mash with 1 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. Goat Cheese crumbles
1 Tbsp. chopped pecans

Place the Phyllo Shells on a baking sheet and fill with the mashed sweet potatoes, the goat cheese and then the pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8 minutes. Enjoy warm.

Baker's Tip: If you'd like to make your own pastry shells you can take a pie crust (either from scratch or a pre-made one from the refrigerator section) and cut 2 in. rounds. Take a mini-muffin tin and flip upside down. Place the 2 in. rounds on each upended muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8 minutes. Let cool, then follow additional directions above.



No comments: