Monday, November 22, 2010

Synchronicity, Cookies & Gratitude

Last week, I asked my Freshman English Composition students to write about an act of kindness they performed without expecting anything in return. For the few who couldn't think of anything immediately I suggested they come up with something they might do for someone throughout this holiday week. I reminded them of the movie "Pay it Forward" and how acts of kindness are an extension of gratitude a fitting topic for Thanksgiving.

I baked three batches of Celebration Cookies after dinner tonight. Bella says it's her all time favorite cookie. They really are good with pieces of cranberries, blueberries and white chocolate. It's my own creation- I was inspired to make them while watching Fireworks this past summer over Falmouth Heights.

I made them to fill a baking order. I made extras to have on hand if unexpected company stops by over the Holiday. I was so disappointed to hear my husband was going to work both Friday and Saturday of the Holiday week so hopefully friends will stop by to say hello. If not, the girls and I will embark on our own adventures.

As for synchronicity, I unexpectedly ran into a long ago friend at a High School Reunion on Saturday that I haven't seen or talked to in years. It was a lot of fun to catch up and create new memories. In some ways it felt like the twenty something years haven't even passed by.
I think what makes the moments of synchronicity so special is the hope that the connection will continue.

I brought the reunion hostess a gift of my jumbo chocolate chip cookies with a hint of peanut butter, celebration cookies and cranberry biscotti dipped in white chocolate because I know she worked so hard to pull it all together. She sent a note saying how much she enjoyed it.

No comments: