Friday, July 29, 2011

Making Time, Pico de Gallo & Cranberry Biscotti!

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresea, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein." ~Life's Little Instruction Book, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

I've decided to give myself the gift of time. At least a little bit of it anyway.The bit I can reasonably squeeze for myself with three kids, a house and freelance writing and baking work to tend to. For the next three weekends I am limiting my social obligations and devoting myself to my baker's book and related writing project I set up for myself this summer.
Although, other demands, summer get together's and projects often seem to get in the way, I'm going to commit myself to spending as much time over the next few weekends as I can to writing. This weekend the kids are spending time with their Dad so I'm taking myself on a close to home mini retreat from house chores then next weekend I'm going to Kripalu and packing my Laptop to take with me. The following weekend, well I won't get too far ahead of myself. I hate to make promises I can't keep. But I already know it involves time spent writing.
As for Pico De Gallo, I spent six years in Los Angeles, CA then ten years in Dallas, TX and among many other gifts and treasures I took away from that time in my life I learned how to make really good Pico De Gallo. Earlier this week, I grilled a steak, sliced it into thin slices and placed it into warmed tortilla's with shredded cheddar and slices of fresh avocado then topped with the Pico De Gallo.
And I just happened to bake Cranberry Biscotti first thing this morning. My oldest daughter had been away at Camp. The first thing she said when she walked in is, "Mom, I want some of your baked goods". She was happy to see I'd just made the Biscotti.
And I realize that I'm not the only one with only 24 hours to fill each day. You have that much as well. If you happened to stop by and read this particular post remember to use your time well toward the dreams you wish to accomplish too.

Recipe for Fresh Pico De Gallo

2 Large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped fine
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 tsp. jalapeno, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, diced
Mix ingredients in a small bowl, chill and enjoy simply with corn chips or tortilla's and cheese.

No comments: