Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Building Baking into the Family

Baking is a way of life for me. By default it is a way of life for my family. Sometimes they have to accept that certain baked goods will have to go untouched by them because I am baking for a 'client' instead. They will have to put up with an excessively flour caked kitchen on a day that I am baking. They will have to understand that sometimes the butter that is in the freezer or the last three eggs in the refrigerator need to be used for something other than the breakfast they had in mind. If they need those eggs now they are simply going to have to wait until I can get to the market again. Or in the meantime have toast and oatmeal instead.
There are some notable benefits of life with a baker too. Our kitchen is often extra warm on a cold day. I always try to have some yummy treat left over in the freezer for them if a 'sweet craving' unexpectedly takes hold. They get simple satisfaction from life when a friend asks, 'did your mom make those cookies and that cake?' And then they often will follow with 'they were delicious'.

No comments: