Saturday, February 9, 2008

Truly Texas: Recipe for Pecan Bread

There's a lot to love about Texas. The 'southern' hospitality, mild winters and some really good food. This week in my 'Fun & Fabulous Food' class we made a very simple but truly wonderful quick bread recipe loaded with pecans. It's an old favorite recipe of my husband's family.
The class meets through Falmouth Night School which is held in the kitchen at the Middle School. After packing up from class the other night the cleaning crew stopped me and wanted to know 'what had we made that smelled so good?' I wish I'd thought at the time to throw in an extra loaf to offer them.
Quick Breads are great. They don't take much effort to prepare and their rewards are obvious.

Truly Texas: Pecan Bread

2 1/2 C Flour
1 C Sugar
tsp Salt
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 C Milk
1 Egg

Combine dry ingredients. Mix egg & Milk add to dry. Gently stir in pecans. Spoon dough into greased loaf pan. Let dough set for ten minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for about ten minutes before releasing from pan.
There are so many ways to serve this bread. My favorite is with butter and a drizzle of honey. My son loves it with cream cheese.


No comments: