Monday, November 12, 2007

Blue Corn Enchiladas with Grilled Vegetables

I promise a recipe will follow. But first, a quick story.

When I was working on my Bachelor's degree in English Literature at UCLA I paid for my bold adventure in part by working as a waitress at a Hip restaurant in Hermosa Beach called Dakota Cafe. Sadly, I don't think it's still there. It was such a fun place. Good music, cool lighting, great food and beer selection not to mention everyone working there was either an aspiring actor, actress or true beach bum. I was in heaven. I made great cash there too. One of my favorite things on the menu was Blue Corn Enchiladas with Grilled Vegetables.

As I was planning my menu over the weekend for this week's farm delivery and an upcoming baptism something out of the blue triggered my memory of Dakota Cafe and those awesome enchiladas. I have decided to share the recipe here-it's my own version that is inspired from my stint at Dakota Cafe. The way I see it-cookies, cakes, breads and other sweet treats add simple pleasures to life. But we all still have to eat a good meal.


Blue Corn Enchiladas with Grilled Vegetables

12 Blue Corn Tortillas -these are worth finding, much tastier than regular corn
1 large zucchini, chopped fine
1 large summer squash, chopped fine
1 medium red onion, chopped fine
1 c corn ( or one regular can)
1 large tomato, chopped fine
olive oil
garlic
Green Enchilada Sauce
2 c cheddar/jack cheese shredded


Saute all squash, zucchini and onion in olive oil, add garlic. Cook over medium heat until vegetables become tender. Add tomatoes and corn. Heat and stir. Warm the tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds or place over low-heat grill or skillet and heat. Spoon a small amount of vegetable mixture into single tortilla and roll. Place into baking dish. Repeat until the tray is full. Pour Green Enchilada sauce over tortillas then top with cheese. Bake at 350 for approx. 20 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

My farm delivery will include a supply of Golden Pecan Banana Cake with a Vanilla Glaze and I am making Sugar Cookies in the shape of a Cross topped with Blue Sugar for Baptism Favor.

No comments: