Sunday, December 23, 2007

Baked Goodies for a Baker, Time Management & Snickerdoodles

Friends and neighbors have been dropping by this week and offering delicious and beautiful baked goods. Every time I receive one of these treats the giver always says, "Well, I hope you like it. Baking for a baker is so hard"-or something to that affect.

The truth is I really love when people bake for me. I am always amazed at how different each recipe is from the next- a little variation can change an old favorite a lot. I also notice that the way someone bakes can reflect the personality of the person who made them!

I never went to school for baking. I have just over the years sampled, studied and explored all types of baked goods, cookbooks and recipes. Not to mention, with an always hungry family- I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Experience is a great teacher.

As for time management, I thought I was ahead of the curve this year--finally! I'd finished my shopping, cleaned the house, bought and even wrapped my gifts all before Friday! I felt like saying, Ta-Dah! Partly, because this is unheard of for me.

I was looking forward to having a relaxed, stress free weekend. That is, until my older two kids reminded me they needed to buy there gifts. So much for a weekend with a bit of time on the couch, with tea and a good book, a long walk, hanging out with friends. Instead I had to bring them to shop both Saturday and Sunday for Holiday presents that they can give to there family and friends. People really do get a little crazy at this stage of the game and so much for time management.

Remember Snicker doodles? Those yummy sugar cookies with an attitude of cinnamon? They are in my oven and I hear the timer calling me now...

No comments: