Thursday, December 27, 2007

Changing Tides, Catch Phrase & Cooling Racks

Tides are the rising and falling of Earth's ocean surface caused by the tidal forces of the Moon and the Sun acting on the oceans.

Rainer Maria Rilke in Letter to a Young Poet wrote,

Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers.

Changing tides gradually reflect the ebb and flow of the water's edge like answers to questions that may come 'along some distant day'.

Every year, I try to find a fun gift to give to the whole family. This year, I bought "Catch Phrase". It's actually a game my mother introduced us to a couple of years ago.
We had company over for a post Christmas dinner last night and had a blast playing this game. You play in teams and pass an electronic hand held game that displays a word in a category you choose.
You try to get your team mates to guess your word without you saying it-only by offering clues. My three year old was so funny. She demanded a turn. Although, she can't yet read.
She understood the game entirely though! We'd give her a turn and she'd dramatically jump to the center of the room holding the game. She'd choose a word on her own not prompted by what it said on the screen. One time she chose the word 'wheel' and very cleverly acted it out. We guessed it in time.
When I think about her I realize she definitely lives by Rilke's idea that the point is to live everything. Like the constantly changing tides I remind myself to be patient with her.

As for what I received for Christmas- a whole new array of baking dishes, cookie sheets, three tier cooling racks, mixing bowls... I can't wait to get into the kitchen to start baking again.

No comments: