Saturday, January 26, 2008

Best Buy Gift Card & History of Love, Again

I have a $25.00 gift card to Best Buy sitting in my 'junk' drawer. It's been there for a while. I am waiting to use it until I have the other $1,175.00 available for a new double oven with range that I have my eye on. I guess musicians have a passion for things like speakers and surround sound. Mechanics have their eye on corvette's and mustangs. As a baker, I dream about stainless steel top of the line electric mixers and ovens. Thankfully, my cookies and cakes taste just as good with the equipment I currently use.

I am not obsessed with the novel I am reading. It just has been on my mind this week. The main character, Leo Gursky, admits that he wonders often "who will be the last person to see me alive". He got me thinking. Who will be the last person to see me alive? And have I ever been some one's last? The interesting thing is there could be people, strangers that I have met- had quick chance encounters that suddenly passed away and I was there last but didn't even know it.

I do know that I was my father's last. I was living in Dallas, TX at the time. I received a call from one of my sisters that he wasn't doing very well and basically was told he was on the verge of dying. I remember calling my husband at work and he encouraged me to at least try to hop on a plane and see if I could get there in time-to see him one last time before he died.

I called the airline and managed a flight to Boston that departed in less than two hours. My three year old was just a baby at the time. I was still nursing her. Naturally, she'd have to come with.
Somehow, I managed to arrive in Boston, got picked up by a friend, drove straight to the Hospice place he was staying at and arrived there at about 1:30 in the morning and spoke with him one brief time before he died a few short hours later.

No comments: