Monday, January 7, 2008

Driftwood at South Cape Beach & Recipe for Cranberry Orange Scones

To some this is a beach nuisance. To me all I can see is potential. It's a huge piece of driftwood that has washed up on the shore at South Cape Beach. It has been there for over two weeks and it is starting to dig itself into the sand. I want it but as it stands I haven't rallied enough people to help me carry it off the beach back to my house. Anyone own a crane?

I want to cut it into two pieces and use as a table base. I would save it for the Bakery I plan to build someday. One of those distant days in the future where I will have a much larger commercial kitchen to bake all my treats in than the quaint little home kitchen I now use. After a trip to the beach on a winter day, tea and scones are always a great way to thaw out. Recipe follows.

Cranberry Orange Scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon milk or evaporated milk
3/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
PREPARATION:
In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cranberries, walnuts or pecans, and grated orange. Mix buttermilk in with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
On a floured surface, roll or pat dough out into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut into rounds with a 2 1/2-inch cutter. Place rounds on a large greased baking sheet, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart. Brush with milk or evaporated milk. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle a little of the mixture over each scone. (Another way to roll out dough is to pat into a greased pie dish and press to the edges. Cut eight slits around dough but not cut through).
Preheat oven to 400°. Place scones on lower oven rack. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with jam and hot tea.

No comments: