Saturday, January 12, 2008

Simple Steps

It was Lao-Tzu in the Tao Te Ching who wrote, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" over twenty-five centuries ago. If I am about to try a new recipe that at first looks complex I know (from experience) that if I follow the steps one by one I will end up with a finished product like the one I set out to create. The first step leads to the second and so on and so forth.

Sometimes if I don't know which is the next best action to take in my baking business, with my children, with friends or other family I can remember Lao-Tzu's wisdom. I can't figure out a problem or something that is bothering me by trying to cut to the end. I have to walk through whatever is right in front of me by taking simple steps-one at a time. As the ancient wisdom suggests little steps eventually become big steps.

I am happy that today is Saturday. It's a fairly nice day. There are a few clouds and it's already forty five degrees. I did a lot of baking yesterday afternoon so for now I am free of my kitchen. Well accept for the pile of dishes that are left over from breakfast. I suppose I can take care of those by taking a first simple step.

No comments: