Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Choices

I went on a long awesome walk today. We had unusually warm temperatures for a Cape Winter day. It almost reached sixty and the sun was bright all day.

I decided when I started this blog that I would keep my comments tailored to baking specifically and the positive side of life in general. I have always been a believer in the importance of complaining less and living more. Life is relatively short and that approach simply makes sense to me.

Although on my walk today, I couldn't help but feel a deep sadness for the woman who was recently killed while hiking alone. It's not the first story like this, sadly it's probably not the last. It makes me so disappointed, especially that I am raising two daughters that a man could feel so worthless in his own life that he could harm a woman in such a cowardly way.

I was reminded on my walk today how when I was eighteen or so I would think nothing of taking a long walk alone. I trusted the world. I so wanted it to be a safe place. Women should be able to move freely in the world without fear of harm to them.

So, I suppose I won't bring up the subject about the safety of women in the world. I will choose instead to celebrate the life of all women and the strength and power that we hold. I said a simple prayer for the unfortunate circumstances of that woman on my walk today. I also decided that I refuse to stop taking walks out of potential fear.

No comments: