Thursday, January 24, 2008

History of Love: Case in Point

I mentioned yesterday that I don't feel qualified to explain things relating to love. Case in point: my three year old came home from school today and proceeded to tell me that a boy that she has been friendly with for over a year now, a boy that she seems to have a little crush on even told her that he doesn't want to talk to her or play with her and he went on to tell her that he didn't want to talk with her again until Kindergarten. To her, an eternity.

She was crushed. As she told me this story she was almost in tears.

Mothers quickly become bears to protect their 'little cubs'. I guess I'm a little embarrassed to admit my response. I told her that if she wanted me to I'd come to the playground and beat him up. Of course, I retracted that right away and apologized for such an inappropriate transgression. (The look on her face said, she had no idea what I was talking about).

I then went on to explain that he probably likes her back and just doesn't quite know how to show it. I told her that I was sure some day he would most likely take a look at her and regret his earlier rejection of her.

We went into the kitchen together sliced a piece of lemon cake and laughed about him and the whole incident as we chatted about meaningless girl talk over our treat. What can I say? At least I didn't bring up "inappropriate transgression' again.

No comments: